Local elections 2021
Charter of ethical reporting on the election campaign
We, the journalists, editors and media leadership, respecting the right of the public to be informed in a fair, accurate and timely manner and having full responsibility and awareness of the role of the media in the upcoming local elections in the country, accept this Charter and agree that the following principles will be observed in the work of our media:
Principles of truthfulness and objectivity
- Which means searching for the truth and fair reporting, by covering the facts in a clear and unambiguous manner. In case of publishing misleading information, the media will do everything to correct such information.
Principle of balance
- Which means presenting different views and perspectives in the right context and without taking sides with any candidate, party or a coalition.
Principle of a clear distinction between information and comments
- Which means that the information will be shaped in a way that the audience will be clear about the difference between facts and views and opinions.
Principles of honesty and impartiality
- Which means that the media will use an honest approach in obtaining information and their presentation, avoiding sensationalist presentation of topics and events, as well as incorrect assumptions that could mislead the public.
Principle of professional solidarity
- In its work, the media will encourage mutual solidarity and difference of opinions and will not act in a way that means confrontation with other media and colleagues.
Principle of editorial independence and professional integrity
- The media undertake to report in a way that would be independent of any personal views, external interests and influences that could undermine the editorial independence and professional integrity.
Principle of respect and tolerance
- Which means respect of dignity, reputation, rights and personal integrity of individuals in informing the public. The media will not use stereotypes, prejudices and discrimination on any basis and will not use hate speech and inflammatory language in their reporting.
Principle of equal opportunities for women and men
- Which means that the media will provide equal opportunities for access to media services for all candidates. Media will continue to be guided by this principle in covering the candidates' election activities.
Principle of freedom and responsibility
- Which means that freedom imposes responsibility to the media about the form and content of the messages they send to the public and about the consequences arising from them on the broader social environment.
Signatories of this Charter agree to adhere to its principles and actively advocate for promoting ethics and professionalism in reporting.